Improbable believes in a future where new, virtual worlds will augment human experience and become as meaningful, lasting and rich as the physical world. We call this the Multiversal Self.
Our platform, SpatialOS, lets developers transcend the limits of regular computation, allowing swarms of servers running in the cloud to cooperate in order to simulate worlds far larger and more complex than any single server could.
With the successful launch of SpatialOS to the gaming world, the popularity of our platform is growing. Our goal is to showcase the potential of the platform, by producing a variety of playable demos, and technical showcases.
A Game Engineer (GE) at improbable is an Engineer who understands the core concepts of SpatialOS and is able to use this knowledge to build a wide variety of implementations on top of the platform. A GE helps design and implement critical gameplay or gameplay-related systems that will be technically robust for large-scale, complex games. A GE also helps drive the requirements of the platform by giving structured feedback on the process of using the technology and the difficulties faced.
- Knowledge of implementing gameplay or elements of gameplay (e.g., combat mechanics, AI behaviours, pathfinding).
- Knowledge of game architectures and game development paradigms (e.g, entity component systems).
- Knowledge and working experience of game engines (e.g., Unity, Unreal or CryEngine).
- Excellent communication and team skills
- Ability to communicate with both non-technical stakeholders (e.g., producers, artists, designers).
- Ability to establish technical requirements from creative or design-led pitches.
- Ability to define and understand elements of game design documents and technical design documents.
- Experience breaking down the development of a system into a number of manageable tasks.
Experience of the following would be advantageous:
- Previous experience with shipping 2+ titles.
- Previous experience developing titles for desktop or console.
- Previous experience with implementing features for multiplayer games.
- A portfolio of projects/side projects would also be welcome.
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.